It’s the time of year that nothing really hits the spot like a hot soup. We’ve found the perfect recipe to keep you warm, using our delicious cheeses, Fair Oaks Farms Milk, and Farmstead Bacon.
Cheesy Bacon Potato Soup
- 4 slices of Farmstead Bacon, chopped
- 1 small onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 40 ounces frozen diced hashbrowns, thawed
- 3 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups Fair Oaks Farms Whole Milk
- salt and black pepper
- 4 ounces Farmstead Mild Cheddar Cheese
- 2 tablespoons chopped fresh chives
- Cook the Farmstead Bacon in a large pot until crisp (around 13 minutes), stirring occasionally. Transfer bacon to a plate, keeping 2 tablespoons of fat from the pot. Discard the rest.
- Add the onion and garlic to the bacon fat in the pot. Stir until tender (around 7 minutes).
- Add your diced hashbrowns, chicken broth, Fair Oaks Farms Whole Milk, salt and pepper, and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and stir occasionally until potatoes are tender and soup is thickened. This should take around 30 minutes, but make sure the potatoes do not fall apart.
- Serve warm with Farmstead Cheddar Cheese, chives, and Farmstead Bacon.
This soup may be simple, but don’t forget to add your own personal flavor!
- Tired of Farmstead Mild Cheddar? Try out some of our aged cheddars for a sharper taste. Go for a smoky flavor with our Smoked Gouda or add a kick with Havarti Pepper! Get a variety of cheeses from the Cowfé or our online shop and encourage your family or guests to make their own recipe!
- Spice up your bacon with some of our original spices and seasonings, sold at our Cowfe and Dairycatessan, like our All Purpose Seasoning.
- If you’re looking for something lighter, substitute our Whole Milk for 4 cups of Fair Oaks Farms 2% Milk.
- On the other hand, if you’re looking for a creamier texture, use an immersion blender to blend your diced hashbrowns before serving.
- For an added touch, serve your soup in a cheesy, crisped bread bowl! Simply purchase a bread bowl from your nearby supermarket, sprinkle the insides with Farmstead Cheese and bake! Pick a cheese that complements the cheese on your soup — or get bold and try multiple flavors!
- Can’t find a bread bowl? That’s OK, grilled cheese goes great with soup! Save a few pieces of bacon to pair with our Provolone, Sweet Swiss, or Havarti Habanero, on perfectly grilled bread for a cheesy side dish.
Our cheeses are sold at the Cowfé, Dairycatessan, and at our online shop. Find our Farmstead Bacon at our Dairycatessan. Our milk is sold on campus and at a store near you!