Let us do the planning for you!
The Fair Oaks Farms’ Ultimate Trip Guide
How to get the most BANG for your buck.
Are you looking to get away? Take a break from your every day life and spend some quality time with the family? We know that get a ways can be costly so we have provided this Go To guide for you to get the most bang for your buck and also create an amazing experience for you and your family.
So what is it about Fair Oaks Farms that would make the experience so unique? Unlike other destinations, we provide wholesome & educational family experiences. We educate while we entertain and so we refer to ourselves as an edutainment tourism destination. The goal for Fair Oaks Farms, is to educate the public about modern farming procedures while providing a transparent look at everything we do, taking care of our animals and our planet and providing the best, most nutritious products to our customers.
So what do we offer? Where to begin! The first attraction that appeared on our campus is The Dairy Adventure. The Dairy Adventure is home to 35,000 dairy cows and counting! Just call us the Duggars of dairy cows! (The family actually visited us in August 2014). The Dairy Adventure consists of over 60 interactive exhibits, a 3D/4D movie experience, a kid’s activity center and an arena-styled birthing barn where you can witness a live birth of a calf! From Memorial Day to Labor Day, we open our outdoor play area which features a sky high milk bottle climb, a giant bounce pillow, riding tractors, a train, and bungee fun!! This whole experience will take an average of about 2-3 hours.
The second attraction to join our farm family was The Pig Adventure, which opened in August 2013. Our farm full of cute piglets is such a unique experience. You’ll notice the smell of the farm is muted with our special filtration system that we use. But don’t be surprised if you get a small whiff of something piggy…we still are a working pig farm! This portion of your experience is filled with state-of-the-art attractions, which even feature virtual greeters, and a virtual pig that walks around your body!! Don’t forget to “shower in”, we are a bio-secure farm. This means that we do everything we can to keep disease, bacteria, and residue out of our farms to provide the cleanest home possible to our pigs. Only the cleanest piggies in our pens!
The third attraction to come on board was our Farmhouse Restaurant. This big beautiful farmhouse styled facility is hard to miss. You’ll notice the amazing aroma of delicious food cooking seep into the parking lots (it makes your mouth water). The kitchen in our restaurant has a glass wall, so you can literally see EVERYTHING that is going on behind the kitchen. Don’t forget to try one of our signature adult beverages in the pub while you’re there. The Farmhouse also features a large ballroom suitable for up to 270 guests that makes the perfect venue for business events, weddings and so much more! Ask our event planner, Rachel Main, for one of our event planning guides while you’re in for a visit.
The latest attraction to open here at Fair Oaks Farms is our Market & Bakery. Seriously! There is fresh homemade bread, cinnamon rolls, cookies, salads, fresh produce, local meat products, beer and wine. It couldn’t get much better than that! The perfect take-home items!
So how is this the “ultimate” trip guide? It’s simple. Let me personally break down your visit, that way you don’t miss a thing!
- Start at The Dairy Adventure.
- Quiz your dairy knowledge in our Diva Hall.
- Be surprised in our 3D/4D movie experience.
- Walk through our exhibit halls.
- Learn about sustainability.
- Go on the dairy bus tour and learn about our milking carousel.
- Try our video games, milking contest and carousel in our activity room.
- Eat lunch at our café. (I suggest one of our signature grilled cheese sandwiches and ice cream for dessert!)
- Visit our Dairy Birthing Barn.
- Ride our pig bus to the Pig Adventure.
- Try out our virtual farm experience.
- Don’t forget to try our interactive sonogram.
- Get your picture taken in the farm clothes with our pig.
- Watch the babies being born.
- Try our “corn maze”
- Eat dinner at The Farmhouse Restaurant. The portions are big enough that you’ll have leftovers for the following day! (There’s even a kids menu)
Where are you going to stay? We have two hotel partners that we work along side. You can visit The Holiday Inn Express in Rensselaer (6 miles), or The Radisson Hotel in Merrillville (35 miles). Check their websites for money saving family packages!
Holiday Inn Express
The Radisson Hotel
So what are the savings secrets? That’s the important stuff, right? How can you spend as little as you can and get the most out of your experience? Well here are the following spending saving secrets…
- Fair Oaks Farms is actually featuring a Holiday inspired event called The Holiday Farm Frenzy on December 20, so you get EVEN more for your buck on that day! Admission is more than 50% off that day!
- Purchase an Adventure Pass if you live local and know you will visit more than once! After two visits the card pays for itself and comes with some bonus perks in the summertime!
- Check our partners, South Shore CVA’s website for money saving coupons.
- Plan as a group and receive a discounted rate for groups with 20 or more! But prepare to plan ahead. You need to book at least 2 weeks in advance to get this price.
Well there you have it, the Fair Oaks Farms’ Ultimate Trip Guide! But stay tuned, because we are still growing! Watch out for the three new buildings going up in the year 2015!!
For more information about hours of operation, admission prices, and special events please visit our website at fofarms.com
Fair Oaks Farms | Start Your Adventure, Feed Your Curiosity