Easter is fast approaching if you’re in need of a fun side dish to take to your family gathering or make sometime at home, try this flavor filled version of the traditional Mac and Cheese!
This Spicy baked mac and cheese is a great ooey gooey dish that you can change up how much bite you’re wanting to add with our aged cheddar cheese going all the way up to a 7 year! Add in some of our homemade butter, and Lactose free 2% milk and you’ve got a great farm fresh dish to share with all!
- •1 lb. of your favorite pasta
- •2 Tbsp. butter
- •3 Tbsp. flour
- •2 cups milk
- •3 cups cheddar cheese, shredded (reserve 1/3 cup of this for topping the macaroni before you bake it)
- •½ tsp mustard powder
- •¼ tsp. cayenne pepper, plus 1/8 tsp. for topping
- •¼ tsp. paprika, plus 1/8 tsp. for topping
- •¼ tsp. black pepper
- The Butter, Milk, and Cheese (up to 7 year) can be purchased at our Cowfe!
- 1.Cook pasta according to package or recipe directions (pasta will continue to cook in the oven, so having very al dente pasta when you put the pasta in to bake will ensure your macaroni isn’t mushy or overcooked)
- 2.In a large saucepan, melt butter. Whisk in flour to make a roux and cook for 1 minute.
- 3.Whisk the milk into the roux a little at a time, making sure to work out all the clumps so you have a smooth sauce. Cook over medium heat until milk has thickened, about 8 minutes.
- 4.Remove sauce from heat. Stir in 2 and 2/3 cups of the cheddar cheese with a spoon or spatula. Stir until cheese is melted.
- 5.Stir mustard powder, cayenne, paprika, and black pepper into sauce.
- 6.Stir pasta into sauce.
- 7.Pour pasta into a baking dish. Top with the extra 1/8 tsp. of cayenne and paprika and the extra 1/3 cup of shredded cheddar cheese.
- 8.Bake at 350 for 15-25 minutes or until cheese has melted and edges are crispy.