Picking out the special recipes that appear on this blog isn’t always easy. There are so many incredible recipes that come across our desks, and so many perfect Fair Oaks Farms products to choose to exhibit. When it comes to National Cheese Lovers Day, we wanted to pick a recipe that everyone could enjoy, but we couldn’t settle on just one. We’ve chosen two different recipes, a sandwich and a steak, that use Fair Oaks Farms cheeses creatively. Our cheeses add to the depth of flavor in each dish, so whichever you choose to make you won’t be disappointed!
Cheesy Crusted Steak Rolls
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 to 2 cups of mushrooms, diced
- 2 small red onions, diced
- 3 cups fresh spinach
- 1 pound beef sirloin steak
- 8 ounces Fair Oaks Farms Provolone cheese, sliced
- 2 to 3 teaspoons butter or vegetable oil
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees.
- Flatten out steak, using plastic wrap and a meat tenderizer. After, season both sides with salt and pepper or other seasoning of your choosing. Set to the side.
- Heat skillet and add butter or vegetable oil. Once hot, add onions and mushrooms and cook until tender. Turn off stove and add spinach, cooking until wilted.
- Spread spinach, onion, and mushroom mixture onto flattened steak, careful not to reach the edges. Leave about an inch border.
- Place slices of provolone over steak and mixture.
- Roll steak tightly, then secure with skewers or twine, about 2 inches apart. Cut between each skier or twine so that each slice is even.
- Using the same skillet you used for spinach, onion, and mushroom mixture, add another teaspoon of oil or butter and heat. Once warm add the steak rolls and cook each side for about 3 minutes. Then place in oven for about 5 minutes.
- Serve warm with salad or side dish of your choosing.
Monte Cristo Sandwich
- 1 tablespoon Dijon mustard
- 4 ounces Fair Oaks Farms Smoked Sweet Swiss
- 4 ounces deli ham, thinly sliced
- 4 white sandwich bread slices
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 cup Fair Oaks Farms Whole Milk
- 2 tablespoons salted butter
- Powdered sugar, for dusting
- Raspberry jam, for serving
- Divide mustard, cheese, and ham evenly between two bread slices, placing a second slice on top of each.
- Whisk eggs and milk.
- Place butter in medium skillet, then dip sandwiches in milk mixture and place on skillet. Cook until golden brown on each side.
- Serve warm with powdered sugar on top and raspberry jam on the side.